5 OF THE BEST WINTER SUN RESORTS
With the Summer holidays nearly over we are already thinking about the perfect Winter sun break. We've teamed up with Tots too the family travel experts, who have given us their top 5 recommendations for the half term, with plenty to do for both parents and kids!
1) The Ritz-Carlton, Abama is a deluxe retreat positioned high on a cliff top, commanding spectacular views of the Atlantic ocean and La Gomera Island. The delightful staff treat each client as an individual by tailoring their services to your needs and truly setting a stage on which you and your family are the star. There is a golden sandy beach around the cove and a new train to help guests get the most from the resort.
For kids: The lively Ritz kids club has an ever-changing schedule of incentive activities-perfect for kids who love to keep busy!
Grown ups: Parents will be spoilt for choice with ten restaurants ranging from rustic Argentinian to Japanese sushi, well renowned M.B (2 Michelin stars) and Kabuki (1 Michelin star) also offer spectacular dining experiences.
2) Carlisle Bay-Antigua: With cutting edge design, Carlisle Bay resort Antigua brings a new style of contemporary luxury to the Caribbean. Set on the south coast of Antigua against a backdrop of rolling hills and rainforest, you can enjoy one of the best beaches on the island. Every suite boasts unparalleled views of the azure ocean with cool interiors that mark a definite departure from typical Caribbean décor.
For kids: Children receive a welcome pack on arrival and can enjoy the specialist activities on offer at the crèche and age-graded kids clubs.
Grown ups: While kids are having fun, parents can choose to go windsurfing, sailing,or eco adventure tours. Water-skiing and jet skiing are also available in the neighbouring bay, reached by motor launch from the jetty.
3) The Breakers, Palm Beach-USA: Spread across 140 acres of pure ocean front on Palm Beach, The Breakers is a destination in its own right. Like the Hotel California, you never have to leave with just about every need covered. Even though the resort is vast, there is a distinct boutique feel and charming elegance and a team of dedicated staff that genuinely care about providing the best hospitality.
For kids: A mecca for families, kids can be entertained all day every day with a full menu of activities to satisfy even the most demanding. The Coconut Crew day camp (chargeable) starts from ages 3 (if potty trained) up to 12 from 9am – 5.30. The Coconut Crew night camp continues from 5.30pm into the evening. The schedule includes kids intro to scuba, art club, bicycle tours, tie dye, glitter tattoos and glow in the dark scavenger hunts!
Grown ups: Adults are also spoilt for choice with superb facilities including; championship golf, tennis, a huge spa, water sports, shopping, night club, games room and a large fitness centre. Those that choose to leave can enjoy the local facilities around Palm Beach including the Flagler Museum, Palm Beach Zoo and Rapids Water Park.
4) LUX* Maldives - Maldives: You can’t get closer to the blue sea than at LUX* Maldives (formerly known as Diva), an island resort surrounded by a clear lagoon, with many of the villas set on stilts over the crystal clear water. LUX* Maldives lives up to the dream of a paradise island with colourful marine life. With excellent childcare you are free to make the most of the famous dive sites or take a romantic picnic to a desert island. The resort’s own marine biologist is on hand to explain the wonders beneath the waves to parents and kids alike.
For kids: Children can also earn their Young Mixologist certificate, learning how to mix their favourite juices, and try the Young Environmentalist Programme which includes a tour with the chief gardener of the tropical flora on the island, plus a visit to the herb garden and orchid nursery.
Grown ups: The exclusive Infinity spa is nestled amongst lush, green vegetation, where you are welcomed by the Balinese team as your feet are bathed with water and botanicals. Benefit from the therapeutic effects of the steam room followed by the ice room and the sauna and then relax in the pool or chill out on the double canopy.
5) The Residence Mauritius - Mauritius: The elegance of a bygone era is combined with every modern luxury in this beautiful beachside resort. Set on a kilometre-long stretch of powdery white sand, the hotel resembles a turn of the century plantation house. Exotic gardens conceal the playground and pool. Your personal butler will tend to your every need as part of the hotels commitment to superb service.
For kids: he dedicated Planters Kids Club has its own clubhouse and grounds with an expert team planning imaginative activities day and night. Its a great chance to try body painting, treasure hunts, glass bottom boats, snorkelling, picnics and plays.
Grown Ups: Try out the wonderful cuisine at the hotels three restaurants, using the native produce of the island. Choose from western classics or local sea food dishes sat by the ocean.